On this page:
Special Collections and Archives offers a variety of outreach options to make our collections available to everyone. Activities include:
- Instruction for Wright State students/classes on using Special Collections and Archives and primary resource materials.
- Presentations for classes, groups, or organizations on selected archival and historical topics, including an overview of our collections and services, the Wright brothers, genealogy, or university history.
- General and special subject tours of the archives are available for classes and groups. These tours take you behind the scenes to see our collections.
We collect, preserve, and provide access to primary sources that document the history of aviation, the local and regional history of the Miami Valley, and the history of Wright State University. For further information regarding our collecting scope, we encourage you to read our complete collection policy (PDF).
We work closely with donors to identify those materials of research interest that should be preserved. Although not all papers, photographs, and records fall within our collecting scope, the information below indicates materials that are often valuable in their content.
- Aviation history: Donations of material related to aviation history and aviation technology in general, with particular geographic emphasis on aviation innovation and history in Ohio and the Miami Valley, home of the Wright brothers. Materials to be considered include photographs, films, technical papers and manuals, drawings, flight logbooks and journals, personal and organizational records, and aviation books and journals.
- Personal and family papers: The personal papers of individuals and families from the Miami Valley region. For more information about donating personal and family papers, including a list of desirable types of documents, refer to the brochure A Guide to Donating Your Personal or Family Papers to a Repository.
- Organization records: The records of organizations which document social, religious, political, and business involvement of the Miami Valley. For more information about donating organizational records, including a list of desirable types of documents, refer to the brochure A Guide to Donating Your Organizational Records to a Repository.
- Publications: Desired publications include county, community, church, and business histories; family histories and genealogies, county atlases, business magazines, organization newsletters, and aviation journals and magazines.
It is not possible for us to accept all offered materials. This may be due to duplication, condition, format, or subject areas in which we do not collect. Please note that we do not accept artifacts and suggest you contact the appropriate state, county, or local historical society for information.
Support the Archives
Financial gifts are crucial to furthering the mission to collect, preserve, and make available our history. Visit Giving to the Libraries to designate your gift to the area of your choice. Our priority funds include:
- Archives Facility Improvement Fund: Provide funding for improvements to the Special Collections and Archives' facility.
- Special Collections Support Fund: Support collection development and preservation of manuscripts and records vital to our heritage.