On this page:
Welcome to the Libraries
The University Libraries are the scholarly information center for the university. In support of the university's mission of educational excellence, the Libraries collect, organize, preserve, and facilitate access to scholarly resources in all formats; support teaching, learning, and research in an intellectually open environment; and provide instruction in the use of traditional and new information resources and technologies.
Mission and Values
The University Libraries uphold the mission of Wright State University by providing exceptional research services and resources to facilitate faculty and student success and by fostering innovation and lifelong learning in our diverse community.
The Libraries will be known and valued by the university community as essential to the educational process and student success. As the scholarly information center for the university, the Libraries will be an innovative leader in support of teaching, learning, and research in an intellectually open, inclusive environment.
We are committed to promoting an educational, cultural, and work environment that is responsive to Wright State University's increasingly multicultural community. Accordingly, the Libraries will foster and encourage sensitivity to diversity among its patrons and staff and will continuously work to further the intellectual diversity of its collections and services.
Paul Laurence Dunbar Library
Wright State's University Library was dedicated in 1973 and then renamed in 1992 to honor Dayton-born Paul Laurence Dunbar. Planned by architect Don Hisaka, the building was the cover photo for the August 1975 Architectural Record. The library is known for its triangular shape and for its skylit, multi-story atrium.
A full-scale replica of the 1903 Wright Flyer is suspended in the atrium of the library. It was conceived and built by a dedicated group of volunteer model makers, mechanics, engineers, woodworkers, and seamstresses under the leadership of Howard R. DuFour. After more than 4,000 hours of volunteer time, the 1903 Wright Flyer was completed in September 2001 and made its ascent in the library atrium. It celebrates the accomplishments of the Wright brothers, who first achieved controlled powered flight on December 17, 1903, above the sands of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Wright State University is named for Wilbur and Orville Wright, printers and bicycle makers from Dayton, Ohio, whose curiosity about flight led to the research and development that culminated in the building of the 1903 Flyer. The replica is dedicated to Wilkinson "Wick" Wright, great nephew of the Wright Brothers and generous friend and supporter of the Wright State University Libraries. It is also a tribute to the volunteers who donated their skills and time to create the Flyer and encourage the spirit of invention in each of us. Learn more about the replica project in the book, A Dream Fulfilled, available online in CORE Scholar.
Lake Campus and Affiliated Libraries
The following institutions and university units collaborate with the Wright State University Libraries, open their facilities to Wright State students and faculty, or contribute information on their library and media collections to the Wright State and Affiliates Library Catalog. Wright State students and faculty can request materials from these libraries through the catalog, or visit in person and borrow materials using the Wright1 Card.