On this page:
Planning Your Visit
Special Collections and Archives collects, preserves, and makes available the history of aviation, the local and regional history of the Miami Valley, and the history of Wright State University.
Visitors are welcome to visit the Reading Room on the fourth floor of the Dunbar Library during the department's open hours. Researchers are invited to make an appointment two or more business days prior to conducting research in the Archives. Those making appointments will receive a visitor parking pass by email and their requested materials will be pulled and waiting ahead of arrival. If you have questions about a research project, donation of material, outreach program, or tour, please contact the Special Collections staff.
Before Your Visit
Researchers should search the Special Collection and Archives catalog or collection guides to locate materials of interest. Some materials are located offsite and need to be requested at least two business days in advance to ensure they are readily available. Research appointments are recommended.
When You Arrive
Because our holdings contain rare and valuable materials, the following guidelines must be followed to access the collections:
- Please register at the front desk upon arrival.
- Review the Rules and Regulations (PDF) and complete an Application for Research (PDF).
- Please do not bring food or drink into the Reading Room.
- Please use pencils only, as pens, markers, and highlighters might damage materials.
- Lockers are available for your personal belongings. Purses, briefcases, backpacks, laptop cases, and other large materials are not permitted in the Reading Room.
- Digital and cell phone cameras are permitted. Please read our Camera Use policy (PDF).
Directions and Parking
Special Collections and Archives is located on the fourth floor of Paul Laurence Dunbar Library, to the left of the elevator or stairs.
- Visitor parking is available in Lot 11 just outside the library with a valid visitor parking permit; park in any space.
- A free visitor permit is available at the Visitor Parking Booth in Lot 2 near the Student Union.
- The Parking booth is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m., subject to the availability of the parking attendant staff.
Special Collections staff can provide a visitor parking pass with a 24–48 hour advance notice. Please call 937-775-2092 or email us to request a visitor pass. Additional information on parking is available through Parking.