On this page:
Starting Your Research
The University Libraries' Special Collections and Archives staff is dedicated to making materials available for Wright State students, faculty, and staff and to researchers, genealogists, and the general public. We support the Wright State Public History program by teaching classes and providing practical experience for students in the program.
Our Collection Guides are searchable inventories of our extensive collection of historical manuscript materials. The Libraries’ catalog can help you locate materials in our Reading Room reference collection of published materials. Digital materials from our collections are available in the university’s repository, CORE Scholar.
Visit Special Collections and Archives for research. The visiting page includes directions, hours of operation, and information on what to expect when you visit the Reading Room.
Public Records Request
Public records requests are accepted for copies of government or university records. Researchers should refer to the Genealogy section of our website for a description of materials available. For further information, please consult Wright State's Public Records Policy.
Public records requests with exact citations are available for the cost of the copies plus postage. There is no charge for providing copies of public records via electronic delivery.
- Requests with exact citations: $0 plus copy fees
- Requests without exact citation: $20 per request with a two-hour maximum plus copy fees. No fees incurred until after initial consultation with an archivist.
- Dayton Daily News requests: $5 per search term (name, subject, business) plus copy fees. Limited to 15 terms per week. Hourly research fee does not apply.
- Additional fees: Researchers will also be responsible for the cost of photocopies and/or digitized materials and shipping fees.
Please note: Researchers are limited to two hours of staff research time per week. An estimate of any additional fees will be provided before any charges are incurred. If your query requires an extensive amount of research (beyond two hours), you may have to hire a private researcher or visit the Archives to complete your research.
Digitization and Photocopy Fees
- Setup fee: $10 per media type
- High-resolution electronic images files: $10 per image
Photocopies and Digital Reference Copies
- $0.50 per page photocopied or digitized
Note: Digital copies are PDF file(s) with quality that is similar to a photocopy.
Film and Audio Reproduction
- Audio cassette transfer to digital: $25
- VHS transfer to digital: $25
- Born digital or previously transferred: $10
- Formats requiring outside vendor services are subject to their fees
Delivery Options and Rush Orders
Electronic delivery via email attachment or online download is no additional charge.
Rush order requests are typically filled within seven business days. Rush options are available for an additional 50 percent charge to the original total.
Image and Media Requests
Reproductions of documents, images, and media formats may be requested pending copyright and donor restrictions on materials. Reproductions for personal and educational purposes are subject only to the reproduction fees.
For images of materials to be used in publications, displays, documentaries, exhibitions, or other non-personal or non-educational use, we will provide patrons with an Image Use Agreement form to sign. Reproductions used for commercial or for-profit projects are also subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code).
On all presentation of images reproduced from Special Collections and Archives, we request that credited use state "Courtesy of Wright State University Libraries Special Collections and Archives."
Credited Use and for Distribution (For-Profit Organizations)
- $100 first image/film (in addition to digitization fees)
- $50 each image/film thereafter (in addition to digitization fees)
Nonprofit organizations: Please consult with an archivist regarding the use and distribution fees.
Circulation above 500,000 or broadcast: $500 per order (in addition to digitization and use fees)
Uncredited use and for distribution: $200 per order (in addition to digitization, use, and circulation fees)