Library Services

  1. My professor put a book on reserve for my class - where can I get it?

    At the Circulation Desk on the 1st floor of the library; you can check it out with your Wright1 card.

  2. I'm having trouble finding a book in the library. Who can help me?

    Our Instruction and Research Services staff would be happy to help you find materials. You can visit us on the 2nd floor of Dunbar Library at the Information Desk or you can contact us via one of the ways shown on our Ask a Librarian page.

  3. Do you have textbooks?

    Your professor may choose to put required textbooks on course reserve.  These books may be requested at the first floor desk.  You'll need to provide the professor's name or course number and your Wright1 card to check out the book to use within the library.

    The Information Desk staff can help you to determine if your textbook is available from course reserve or OhioLINK.  The Information desk is on the second floor of the library; (937) 775-2925, or chat online thru Ask a Librarian.

  4. The WSU library doesn't have a book that I need. How can I get the book?

    If you have borrowing priveges at WSU, you may request the book from OhioLINK or SearchOhio. OhioLINK is a statwide consortium of academic libraries.  Use the request function from within the OhioLINK catalog to order the book.  The book will arrive at Wright State in 3-5 business days.  You will need to return the book to the Wright State Library rather than any other library.  SearchOhio includes public library materials that may not be found within OhioLINK.

    If you cannot find the book in OhioLINK or SearchOhio, request the book you need through Interlibrary Loan.  (Please note: the library may not order textbooks through Interlibrary Loan.)  Interlibary Loan books usually arrive within a week but may take longer.

    If you have questions about getting a book, please contact the Information Desk at (937) 775-2925 or Ask a Librarian.

  5. Can I talk to someone about my research paper or project?

    Yes, the Instruction and Research Services librarians would be happy to talk to you about your research project and needs. Visit us at the Information Desk on the 2nd floor of Dunbar Library or text/call, email, IM, or request an appointment with us (in person or virtual).

  6. How do I request a Government Document?

    If you would like to request Government Documents from our library catalog, and do not have a library card from one of the following institutions: Wright State and Affiliated Hospital Libraries, OhioLINK member institutions, The State Library of Ohio, Greene County Public Library, Washington-Centerville Public Library, or other SearchOhio Library; please send a request including the call number and title from the catalog.