The University Libraries respect patron privacy and confidentiality, and observe applicable laws, university policies, and professional codes of conduct. As part of routine reference service in a networked environment, the University collects and retains some patron information for network quality control and security purposes. Thus, email and other electronic communications should not be viewed as absolutely confidential; however, the Libraries strive to protect this information to the fullest extent possible. Relevant documents include:
- Ohio Revised Code, section 149.43.2, Releasing library record or patron information
- Wright State University Policy 2001, World Wide Web
- Wright State University Policy 3002, Responsible Use of University Computing Resources
- American Library Association Code of Ethics and related documentation on patron privacy.
- Medical Library Association Code of Ethics